Wednesday, February 13, 2013

It feels like the first time...

This blogging thing is something that my wife talked me into. She said that she thinks it's something I'd be good at. There's a good possibility that I will absolutely suck at this, and her views of me and my talents may be a bit skewed, but I said to myself, "what the hell", and decided to give it a go. I don't really have any particular direction for this blog, so it will probably be about anything and everything and nothing all at once. There will most likely be a very healthy dose of snippets about hunting, fishing, and other topics related to the Great Outdoors as those things are what really makes me, well...me. I'm sure you'll get some entries about cooking(but no sissyfied baking crap), or tasty libations, or politics too. It seems the "older" I get, the more I enjoy these as well(ok, so maybe I don't actually enjoy politics. In fact, I loathe them. But I have become a lot more interested in what I can do to stay in the know, and what kind of crap is getting shoveled my way). I hope that I can keep this thing somewhat interesting for anyone that decides to follow it, and that includes myself.

For those that are interested, I'll tell you a little about me:

Sandlapper n. - One who eats dirt; by extension, a low-class or countrified white person. Chiefly South Atlantic. Derogatory. Compare to Clay-eater

Clay-eater n. - In black and white usage, not necessarily biased, a reference to someone from South Carolina or Georgia, especially a poor white person or farmer, or any Southern rustic.

I don't know who felt the need to include those rednecks from Georgia in our high-societal definition, but alas...

I grew up in the Lowcountry of South Carolina. Thanks to one helluva woman that I call Mama Jean(that would be my Grandma), I learned to handle a gun about the time I could walk and could clean a deer by the time I was 7 or 8. I was in the woods and water and on the baseball field as much as I could be when I was a kid and on up through highschool. I got lucky when I was 15 and got a job at a local Thoroughbred training track as an exercise rider. Those folks became like a second family to me for quite sometime, and I've got them to thank for opening my eyes to the world outside of my tiny little town. After highschool, I enrolled at Clemson University. I say enrolled because I didn't really start attending classes until my second semester there(who knew attendance was necessary?). I met my wife while I was there and even though she thought I was just some stupid kid at first, I eventually won her over with my witty charm and dashing good looks. Once our tenure at Clemson was over, we headed west to College Station, Texas for a couple of years and most recently we've settled in dusty Las Cruces, NM. 

I think that's enough of an intro. I'm sure if you or I stick around long enough, you'll hear more about what I've done and where I've been. But now this shitty little dinghy is shoving off, so hop on it if you'd like. There should be plenty of B.S. to keep things interesting.

PS - I don't think all people from Georgia are lowly rednecks, but they are fun to pick on sometimes.

1 comment: