Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Cool, North breezes...

Cool, light breezes out of the North. Shorter days. Frosty windshields in the mornings. A lone, scout sandhill crane flying overhead looking for a suitable place to bring all his buddies. Migrations have started. My time of year is here.



I know I said that I was excited before my elk hunt, and I was. I truly was. And shooting doves might be #2 on my list of favorite things to do ever. Those are both still a far cry from what I really love doing. I'm a duck hunter, plain and simple. I have been since I shot my first duck 21 years ago. I keep trying to pick up new hobbies like elk hunting, fly fishing, and trying to really get into the whole Western hunting thing. I honestly do enjoy those things. Lots. But ducks are on my brain 12 months out of the year...365 days straight I think about ducks at some point and time during the day.

Setting decoys out in the pre-dawn with the sound of wings over head. Random peeps and quacks and whistles from ducks just waking up in the dark. Coffee never tastes better. I can't describe the feelings that come from the sound of wind ripping through cupped wings when birds are dropping into your group of pseudo-ducks. Or how awesome it is to see a dog locked onto a belly and a set of kicking webbed feet.



I don't expect most folks to understand it, although most hunters will understand. For some people it's a bugling bull elk or a mature gobbler trying his damndest to wake up the world that fires them up(both of which will tie you up in knots if you love the outdoors like I do). For others, it might be a pack of beagles working a briar thicket chasing after bunnies on a frosty morning. For me, it's web-footed birds. Simply put, decoying ducks is the most fun I know how to have with my clothes on. I've been blessed by the duck hunting opportunities that the Lord has given me over the years without a doubt.



Our season started last week, and even though I don't get to hunt as much as I would like(but really, who does?), a good Saturday morning keeps me going until the next weekend. And Saturday was a good day.






Good luck to all you duck hunters, where ever you are, in your upcoming openers. I hope everyone has a stellar year ahead of them.

1 comment: